Licid "End this effect" Confusion

Stapler
is a liar
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Stapler » 4 years ago

I control a Licid (let's say Tempting Licid) and have a way to untap it, such as Twiddle. I activate the Licid's ability targeting a creature, respond by untapping it with Twiddle, and activate the same ability again targeting another creature (or the same creature, it shouldn't matter in this example).

The more recent ability will resolve, turning the Licid into an aura enchanting the second target, and the second one will do the same, moving the aura to the creature I first targeted. But does the second activation create an extra instance of "pay G to end this effect" that I need to pay to turn my Licid back into a creature, or does "end this effect" just mean paying G once will make my Licid a creature again?

Same situation, another question: with my Licid already enchanting a creature, my opponent plays Blatant Thievery stealing my Licid. Is my opponent allowed to pay the G to end the effect? Does the "you" in the last part of the rules text refer to the card's current controller, or the player who activated the ability?

Accepted Answer

by WiseWarriorQc » 4 years ago
In the case of your first question, there are two effects for which you need to pay in order for the Licid to revert back to a creature. Doesn't matter in which order you pay, the Licid will not move to the previous creature because of this. The "attach" part of the Licid's ability is a one-shot effect, just an action, being attached in itself isn't part of the continuous effect that you're ending by paying G. The Licid will be unattached as a state-based action if it stops being an aura. But if you end just one effect, the other is still in place, and it is still an aura. You need to pay G twice.

For your second question, no, your opponent can't end the effect making the Licid an aura. The possibility of paying G to do it is not an ability that the Licid has, it's a possibility that's created by the Licid's ability resolving and it is given only to the player who controlled the ability at the time it resolved (you in this case.).
Go to full post
"Image"

WiseWarriorQc
Answers: 13
Pronoun: he / him

Post by WiseWarriorQc » 4 years ago

In the case of your first question, there are two effects for which you need to pay in order for the Licid to revert back to a creature. Doesn't matter in which order you pay, the Licid will not move to the previous creature because of this. The "attach" part of the Licid's ability is a one-shot effect, just an action, being attached in itself isn't part of the continuous effect that you're ending by paying G. The Licid will be unattached as a state-based action if it stops being an aura. But if you end just one effect, the other is still in place, and it is still an aura. You need to pay G twice.

For your second question, no, your opponent can't end the effect making the Licid an aura. The possibility of paying G to do it is not an ability that the Licid has, it's a possibility that's created by the Licid's ability resolving and it is given only to the player who controlled the ability at the time it resolved (you in this case.).
I'm a former judge (lapsed), who keeps up to date on rules and policy. Keep in mind that judges' answers aren't necessarily more valid than those of people who aren't judges; what matters is we can quote the rules to back up our answers. When in doubt, ask for such quotes.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”