Comeuppance Question

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

Quick question with Comeuppance, If I prevent damage from a creature who is no longer in play will it do anything? Lets say my opponent has an active creature Purphoros, God of the Forge and his trigger to do damage go on the stack. If I remove a him, does anything happen other than preventing the damage?

I guess I am questioning if a source of damage comes from a creature if said creature is not in play when the damage is done. I guess I just.... don't really know with this.

Accepted Answer

by WizardMN » 4 years ago
In this case, Comeuppance will do what it can. See this rule:

615.5: Some prevention effects also include an additional effect, which may refer to the amount of damage that was prevented. The prevention takes place at the time the original event would have happened; the rest of the effect takes place immediately afterward.

So, the damage is prevented and *then* that same amount of damage is directed at Purphoros. Since he is not around, it simply does nothing. We use LKI to determine if Purphoros was a creature as he is existed on the battlefield to determine if he should be damaged or the player.
Go to full post
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

WizardMN
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by WizardMN » 4 years ago

In this case, Comeuppance will do what it can. See this rule:

615.5: Some prevention effects also include an additional effect, which may refer to the amount of damage that was prevented. The prevention takes place at the time the original event would have happened; the rest of the effect takes place immediately afterward.

So, the damage is prevented and *then* that same amount of damage is directed at Purphoros. Since he is not around, it simply does nothing. We use LKI to determine if Purphoros was a creature as he is existed on the battlefield to determine if he should be damaged or the player.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”