Quasiduplicate + Cavalier of Thorns

Arkmer
Opinionated and Wrong
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Arkmer » 4 years ago

I have a Cavalier of Thorns, I cast Quasiduplicate to get a token copy of it. That token dies. Does the dies trigger happen? Can I exile the token and put a card on my library?

Accepted Answer

by Argus » 4 years ago
Arkmer wrote:
4 years ago
I have a Cavalier of Thorns, I cast Quasiduplicate to get a token copy of it. That token dies. Does the dies trigger happen?
Yes, but it won't do anything in particular. The token will cease to exist before that triggered ability goes on the stack.
111.7. A token that's in a zone other than the battlefield ceases to exist. This is a state-based action; see rule 704. (Note that if a token changes zones, applicable triggered abilities will trigger before the token ceases to exist.)

117.5. Each time a player would get priority, the game first performs all applicable state-based actions as a single event (see rule 704, "State-Based Actions"), then repeats this process until no state-based actions are performed. Then triggered abilities are put on the stack (see rule 603, "Handling Triggered Abilities"). These steps repeat in order until no further state-based actions are performed and no abilities trigger. Then the player who would have received priority does so.
Arkmer wrote:
4 years ago
Can I exile the token and put a card on my library?
No. Aside from the fact that the token is long gone by the time that triggered ability resolves, it wouldn't be able to move from the graveyard to exile even if it still existed.
111.8. A token that has left the battlefield can't move to another zone or come back onto the battlefield. If such a token would change zones, it remains in its current zone instead. It ceases to exist the next time state-based actions are checked; see rule 704.
Go to full post

Argus
Answers: 52

Post by Argus » 4 years ago

Arkmer wrote:
4 years ago
I have a Cavalier of Thorns, I cast Quasiduplicate to get a token copy of it. That token dies. Does the dies trigger happen?
Yes, but it won't do anything in particular. The token will cease to exist before that triggered ability goes on the stack.
111.7. A token that's in a zone other than the battlefield ceases to exist. This is a state-based action; see rule 704. (Note that if a token changes zones, applicable triggered abilities will trigger before the token ceases to exist.)

117.5. Each time a player would get priority, the game first performs all applicable state-based actions as a single event (see rule 704, "State-Based Actions"), then repeats this process until no state-based actions are performed. Then triggered abilities are put on the stack (see rule 603, "Handling Triggered Abilities"). These steps repeat in order until no further state-based actions are performed and no abilities trigger. Then the player who would have received priority does so.
Arkmer wrote:
4 years ago
Can I exile the token and put a card on my library?
No. Aside from the fact that the token is long gone by the time that triggered ability resolves, it wouldn't be able to move from the graveyard to exile even if it still existed.
111.8. A token that has left the battlefield can't move to another zone or come back onto the battlefield. If such a token would change zones, it remains in its current zone instead. It ceases to exist the next time state-based actions are checked; see rule 704.
Why bother with mere rulings when so many answers can be found in the Rules?

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

So tokens do die. but my understanding is that there is an If clause on cavalier of thorns that requires the card to be exiled; since tokens are exiled as a state based effect when they change zones (704.5D).

When Cavalier of Thorns dies you may exile it. If you do,

Since you do not exile it, its trigger can't function. It functions identically to academy rector.

See this reference thread:
https://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/mag ... tor-tokens

So :
* The trigger happens
* The token does not exist so cannot be exiled
* You do not get to put another card on top of your library

Arkmer
Opinionated and Wrong

Post by Arkmer » 4 years ago

Dang.

Thank you, both.