Calcite Snapper question

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

Hi, for example I have a Calcite Snapper in play. Opponent attacks with a Goblin Guide. Can I sac a fetchland to make snapper a 4/1, kill the guide with the 4 damage, then sac another fetchland so snapper is 1/4 again to not die from the 2 damage by the guide? I have a feeling this is not possible to do... but just want to be sure.

Accepted Answer

by user_938036 » 4 years ago
This is not possible. Once damage is dealt, state based actions will be checked and all creatures with lethal damage will die. There is no chance to activate abilities let alone activate them let them resolve to trigger other abilities that then go on the stack and wait to resolve.

Long ago combat damage went on the stack and you could pull such shenanigans. But it often made new players feel like they were being cheated and had a host of power level problems.
Go to full post
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

user_938036
Answers: 21
Pronoun: he / him

Post by user_938036 » 4 years ago

This is not possible. Once damage is dealt, state based actions will be checked and all creatures with lethal damage will die. There is no chance to activate abilities let alone activate them let them resolve to trigger other abilities that then go on the stack and wait to resolve.

Long ago combat damage went on the stack and you could pull such shenanigans. But it often made new players feel like they were being cheated and had a host of power level problems.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

thanks for that. I guess the m10 rules change does not allow these things anymore.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”