Grumgully combo

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

Hi, if my opponent has assembled the combo of Skirk Prospector, Grumgully, the Generous, and murderous redcap.

Can I stop the combo by lightning bolt grumgully in response to the first time they sac the redcap to the prospector?

Accepted Answer

by WiseWarriorQc » 4 years ago
You can stop the combo that way, yes. You can't respond to the sacrifice itself, nor to the Prospector's ability since it's a mana ability and it doesn't use the stack, but you can respond to persist, which is a normal triggered ability and uses the stack. With Redcap in the graveyard and its persist trigger on the stack, bolt and kill Grumgully, so it's not there when the persist trigger resolves, Redcap enters with just a -1/-1 counter and won't be able to persist again.
Go to full post
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

WiseWarriorQc
Answers: 13
Pronoun: he / him

Post by WiseWarriorQc » 4 years ago

You can stop the combo that way, yes. You can't respond to the sacrifice itself, nor to the Prospector's ability since it's a mana ability and it doesn't use the stack, but you can respond to persist, which is a normal triggered ability and uses the stack. With Redcap in the graveyard and its persist trigger on the stack, bolt and kill Grumgully, so it's not there when the persist trigger resolves, Redcap enters with just a -1/-1 counter and won't be able to persist again.
I'm a former judge (lapsed), who keeps up to date on rules and policy. Keep in mind that judges' answers aren't necessarily more valid than those of people who aren't judges; what matters is we can quote the rules to back up our answers. When in doubt, ask for such quotes.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

thanks for the detailed explanation. All clear to me now.

asked because my friend uses the combo. And I need to know exactly how to stop it.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”