Casting a Morph Creature From a Public Zone

cryogen
GΘΔ†
Pronoun: he / him

Post by cryogen » 4 years ago

Do I have to announce what card I'm casting as a face down morph creature if I cast it from a public zone, like the graveyard? My suspicion is no. Obviously if someone looked at my yard they could know what I cast based on what is now missing, but it leaves a face up zone and is put into an face down state, so I would imagine that I'm not required to divulge that info.

Accepted Answer

by user_938036 » 4 years ago
While you don't have to announce "I am casting Akroma as a morph" you do have to answer "what is that?" With the proper card name bacause you can't actually hide what you are casting.

When you want to cast the morph you declare you are casting it by moving it from it's current location to the stack face down. However you can't hide what it was before it was face down. Because its identity is free information if the player asks you have to answer with the truth. You can't hide your graveyard and pull out the morph to try to hide its identity.
Go to full post
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 4 years ago

While you don't have to announce "I am casting Akroma as a morph" you do have to answer "what is that?" With the proper card name bacause you can't actually hide what you are casting.

When you want to cast the morph you declare you are casting it by moving it from it's current location to the stack face down. However you can't hide what it was before it was face down. Because its identity is free information if the player asks you have to answer with the truth. You can't hide your graveyard and pull out the morph to try to hide its identity.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

This doesn't make sense though.
user_938036 wrote:
4 years ago
If Akroma, Angel of Fury was in my hand then to cast it I would place it from my hand face down on the stack, announcing "I'm casting a morph creature". If an opponent asks what it is, I wouldn't have to actually tell them what the card name is. How would casting it from any other zone be different?
It's not so much that I'm trying to hide my graveyard or that there's a morph creature in it, or even be sneaky about casting it (I don't even rearrange it out of habit because I run Corpse Dance sometimes). But when I go to cast it I'm going to have to pick up my graveyard and place it on my playmat/stack. So what I'm wondering is at that point am I required to tell my opponent which card I removed from my graveyard should they ask.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 4 years ago

I would think that since the graveyard is a public zone, that though you aren't required to state the card name of the card, you are still of course required to declare that you're casting a card via morph, at which time your opponents will have a "legal" opportunity to see which card is being cast via morph before (or as) it's put onto the stack where it then becomes "hidden".
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Legend wrote:
4 years ago
I would think that since the graveyard is a public zone, that though you aren't required to state the card name of the card, you are still of course required to declare that you're casting a card via morph, at which time your opponents will have a "legal" opportunity to see which card is being cast via morph before (or as) it's put onto the stack where it then becomes "hidden".
Yeah, that's where I'm wishy on. Part of doing that is physically moving the card from one zone to the other, so dunno.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

user_938036 wrote:
4 years ago

So are you citing actual comp rules with your answer, because if so then I'm perfectly fine with it.

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 4 years ago

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
So are you citing actual comp rules with your answer, because if so then I'm perfectly fine with it.
The comp rules don't handle this kind of action because it's about who knows what not how to play the game. This is covered by the MTR. What the card is, falls under free information "Details of current game actions and past game actions that still affect the game state." A known card moved to a place and is now unknown. The opponent has the right to know what that known card was. In your previous case
If Akroma, Angel of Fury was in my hand then to cast it I would place it from my hand face down on the stack, announcing "I'm casting a morph creature". If an opponent asks what it is, I wouldn't have to actually tell them what the card name is. How would casting it from any other zone be different?
You have to tell them what they previously knew about the card which is only that it was in your hand while in the other situation what they previously knew was what the card actually was. That is the difference. Both situations play out the same by the rules the only difference is in what your opponent knew before hand.
How it plays out
Player A casts card A from hand as a morph
Player B asks what is that?
Player A responds its a card from my hand

Player A casts Card A from graveyard as morph
Player B asks what is that?
Player A responds its card A from my graveyard

The difference is that both players are aware of what the card was before it changed zones. It is the reason why Jeskai Infiltrator has you shuffle so that neither player is aware which is which. Of course, the controller can look at them but it's about what both players know not what one player knows.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Hmm... ok well thank you for the detailed answer.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”