Cards that care about commander creature type and double-faced commanders

DementedKirby
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DementedKirby » 4 years ago

If I cast an eldrazi creature using mana from Path of Ancestry, can I scry 1 if my commander is Gisela, the Broken Blade?

Accepted Answer

by ApocalypseChive » 4 years ago
712.3a While a meld card is outside the game, in a zone other than the battlefield, or on the battlefield with its front face up, it has only the characteristics of its front face.
712.3b While the two cards of a meld pair are on the battlefield as a melded permanent, the object represented by those cards has only the characteristics of the combined back face, and its converted mana cost is the sum of the converted mana costs of its front faces. If a permanent is copying a melded permanent, the converted mana cost of the copy is 0. See rule 202.3c.
712.3c Anything that needs information about a meld card or a melded permanent sees only the information given by the face that is currently up.
Example: A Clone enters the battlefield as a copy of Chittering Host (the combined back face of a meld pair). It has the characteristics of Chittering Host, even though the object it becomes is represented by only a single card, and its converted mana cost is 0.
Looks like a no, given that it only has the characteristics of the front when Gisela is in the command zone.
Go to full post
My YouTube Channel:
The Commander Tavern
- a channel I just started where I'll post content like deck techs and gameplays.
Please support by checking it out. Maybe you'll like its content and subscribe! Thanks!

ApocalypseChive
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ApocalypseChive » 4 years ago

712.3a While a meld card is outside the game, in a zone other than the battlefield, or on the battlefield with its front face up, it has only the characteristics of its front face.
712.3b While the two cards of a meld pair are on the battlefield as a melded permanent, the object represented by those cards has only the characteristics of the combined back face, and its converted mana cost is the sum of the converted mana costs of its front faces. If a permanent is copying a melded permanent, the converted mana cost of the copy is 0. See rule 202.3c.
712.3c Anything that needs information about a meld card or a melded permanent sees only the information given by the face that is currently up.
Example: A Clone enters the battlefield as a copy of Chittering Host (the combined back face of a meld pair). It has the characteristics of Chittering Host, even though the object it becomes is represented by only a single card, and its converted mana cost is 0.
Looks like a no, given that it only has the characteristics of the front when Gisela is in the command zone.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”