Bringing commanders back from exile

Dragonlover
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dragonlover » 4 years ago

If my commander is Horde of Notions, and I play Nova Chaser, champion away the Horde of Notions, put Horde into the command zone, then the Nova Chaser dies, can I still put the Horde of Notions back into play?

If not, why not? And are there any cards where I would be able to get back the Horde of Notions from the command zone? Someone I know said they think Banishing Lightdoesn't care if the commander is still in exile or in the command zone.

Dragonlover

Accepted Answer

by WiseWarriorQc » 4 years ago
You won't be able to return the Horde if you champion it and put it in the command zone, no. This is because, like Oblivion Ring, Champion uses two separate triggered abilities for the exile and the return, and the return triggered ability looks for the card in the exile zone only.
702.71a. Champion represents two triggered abilities. "Champion an [object]" means "When this permanent enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you exile another [object] you control" and "When this permanent leaves the battlefield, return the exiled card to the battlefield under its owner's control."
702.71b. The two abilities represented by champion are linked. See rule 607, "Linked Abilities."
607.2a. If an object has an activated or triggered ability printed on it that instructs a player to exile one or more cards and an ability printed on it that refers either to "the exiled cards" or to cards "exiled with [this object]," these abilities are linked. The second ability refers only to cards in the exile zone that were put there as a result of an instruction to exile them in the first ability.
Banishing Light is indeed different, as it uses a single ability with a duration, which is a more recent template, and the one most often used nowadays for cards of that kind. The effect is able to follow the card it exiles to the command zone, because it's a public zone, there still was only one zone change and there isn't a second separate ability that needs to look in the exile zone. The commander gets returned when Banishing Light leaves, if it didn't leave the command zone in the meantime.
Go to full post
All my decks are here

WiseWarriorQc
Answers: 13

Post by WiseWarriorQc » 4 years ago

You won't be able to return the Horde if you champion it and put it in the command zone, no. This is because, like Oblivion Ring, Champion uses two separate triggered abilities for the exile and the return, and the return triggered ability looks for the card in the exile zone only.
702.71a. Champion represents two triggered abilities. "Champion an [object]" means "When this permanent enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you exile another [object] you control" and "When this permanent leaves the battlefield, return the exiled card to the battlefield under its owner's control."
702.71b. The two abilities represented by champion are linked. See rule 607, "Linked Abilities."
607.2a. If an object has an activated or triggered ability printed on it that instructs a player to exile one or more cards and an ability printed on it that refers either to "the exiled cards" or to cards "exiled with [this object]," these abilities are linked. The second ability refers only to cards in the exile zone that were put there as a result of an instruction to exile them in the first ability.
Banishing Light is indeed different, as it uses a single ability with a duration, which is a more recent template, and the one most often used nowadays for cards of that kind. The effect is able to follow the card it exiles to the command zone, because it's a public zone, there still was only one zone change and there isn't a second separate ability that needs to look in the exile zone. The commander gets returned when Banishing Light leaves, if it didn't leave the command zone in the meantime.
I'm a former judge (lapsed), who keeps up to date on rules and policy. Keep in mind that judges' answers aren't necessarily more valid than those of people who aren't judges; what matters is we can quote the rules to back up our answers. When in doubt, ask for such quotes.

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 4 years ago

Excellent, thankyou very much!

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”