Five Copies

Legend
Aethernaut
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Legend » 4 years ago

If a player has four copies of Taiga in their deck, can they Living Wish for a fifth copy of Taiga in an unsanctioned, casual game of Legacy?

Accepted Answer

by peteroupc » 4 years ago
In casual games outside of sanctioned tournaments, with Living Wish you can choose any "creature or land card you own from outside the game"; the comprehensive rules do not limit this choice depending on how many cards with the same name as that card are in your deck (review C.R. 400.10). See also this thread. Note that under C.R. 103.1, each player's deck becomes a library, so no longer counts as a deck; see also the glossary, which defines "deck" as "the collection of cards a player starts the game with"
Go to full post
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

peteroupc
Answers: 31
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by peteroupc » 4 years ago

In casual games outside of sanctioned tournaments, with Living Wish you can choose any "creature or land card you own from outside the game"; the comprehensive rules do not limit this choice depending on how many cards with the same name as that card are in your deck (review C.R. 400.10). See also this thread. Note that under C.R. 103.1, each player's deck becomes a library, so no longer counts as a deck; see also the glossary, which defines "deck" as "the collection of cards a player starts the game with"

Legend
Aethernaut

peteroupc wrote:
4 years ago
Thank you.
So if Rule 13 didn't exist in Commander, in unsanctioned games, players could Death Wish for any card irregardless of rules 3, 4, and 5?

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

Legend wrote:
4 years ago
peteroupc wrote:
4 years ago
Thank you.
So if Rule 13 didn't exist in Commander, in unsanctioned games, players could Death Wish for any card irregardless of rules 3, 4, and 5?
In theory, yes. In practice, the idea is that the behaviour of wishes is not well defined in Commander, so any group opting to use them needs to decide how they want wishes to work. Do you want them to be able to fetch a card already in your deck or is the uniqueness rule in effect even for wishes? Do you want to be able to fetch cards of any color identity or is the color identity rule in effect even for wishes? Commander aesthetics suggest both rules should still be in effect but "that's how wishes work" suggests they don't need to be. (There is also: Can you wish from any card in your collection or do you have a wishboard? What's the wishboard size?) Different groups will answer differently and all their answers are valid if they're happy with them.

Legend
Aethernaut

spacemonaut wrote:
4 years ago
Legend wrote:
4 years ago
peteroupc wrote:
4 years ago
Thank you.
In theory, yes. In practice, the idea is that the behaviour of wishes is not well defined in Commander, so any group opting to use them needs to decide how they want wishes to work. Do you want them to be able to fetch a card already in your deck or is the uniqueness rule in effect even for wishes? Do you want to be able to fetch cards of any color identity or is the color identity rule in effect even for wishes? Commander aesthetics suggest both rules should still be in effect but "that's how wishes work" suggests they don't need to be. (There is also: Can you wish from any card in your collection or do you have a wishboard? What's the wishboard size?) Different groups will answer differently and all their answers are valid if they're happy with them.
Have you not heard? I'm well aware, which is why I started with "So if Rule 13 didn't exist in Commander". :)

Trolling Warning
Kahedron

WizardMN
Answers: 124

Post by WizardMN » 4 years ago

Rulings are given based on the rules as they are; not as they might, or could, be. Your premise of "if Rule 13 didn't exist" might spark lively debate but this is not the place for it. Rule 13 *does* exist and we don't need to care about what might happen if it didn't (at least, not here).

Your thread you alluded to above is a more appropriate place to discuss "what if" scenarios such as that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”