Foulmire Knight

Locked Previous topicNext topic
ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

Foulmire Knight I am still trying to understand exactly how this card / mechanic works.

1) Can you cast either mode of it or do I have to cast the instant and then the creature only from exile? I see the spell portion of it puts it to exile where it allows you to cast the creature side but can either be cast when its in hand?

2) Is it both a spell and a creature in graveyard or is it just a creature. Essentially can Snapcaster Mage / Toshiro Umezawa interact with it as a spell when it is in grave?

3) Assuming you would cascade into this card can you choose which mode to cast it as? Can it be cast if either side of it could be cast on cascade or if both sides would be castable?

I guess I just don't feel like I fully understand this mechanic and how it functions. Some help would be appreciated.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Mookie
Answers: 47
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

1 - if it is in your hand, you can cast either mode of it. You may cast Foulmire Knight, or Profane Insight.
2 - in all zones, it is treated as if it were a creature card, and only a creature card. Can't be targeted by Snapcaster Mage. Essentially, it is only an Instant at the time you are actually casting it. Adventures are also not interacted with by cards like Mindclaw Shaman, Mystical Tutor, or Brain in a Jar.
3 - this hasn't been fully clarified yet. From what I've been able to gather, it appears that you can only cast the Adventure part of the card from hand. So, probably can't cast Profane Insight from exile (if you cascade into it), library (from Future Sight), or graveyard (from Yawgmoth's Will).

It also hasn't been clarified how Adventures work with free spellcasting, such as Omniscience or As Foretold.

So, essentially: the card is a creature, and only a creature, at every time except when you are casting it from hand, at which point you may cast it as an Adventure instead. If it goes on an adventure, you exile it on resolution, and may later cast the creature from exile. (if the card is exiled for some other reason, it isn't on an adventure, so you can't cast the creature. compare Rebound and Suspend)

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

Thank you for your responses.

Follow up question, If someone has some sort of graveyard hate say Rest in Peace, can you cast Foulmire Knight from exile or do you specifically have to cast the Profane Insight side of him to cast him from exile?
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 4 years ago

You specifically have to cast the adventure to be able to cast the creature from exile. If it ends up in exile in any other way you can't cast it.

Mookie
Answers: 47
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Things have since been clarified further, so looks like my answer to #3 was inaccurate. You can actually cast either half from any zone, assuming you are capable of casting the spell. So, you could in fact cast Profane Insight off of Cascade, from your library, from the graveyard, etc.

One obvious exception is that if the card is exiled due to being on an adventure, you can only cast the creature half. However, if it is exiled because you cast it with Rebound (such as due to Narset Transcendent), then you should be able to cast either half off Rebound. (if you cast the adventure half, it will return to exile, but this time be on an adventure)

...this does raise some interesting other interactions alongside cards such as Havengul Lich and Possibility Storm, but I would assume things to be consistent - those two grant you the ability to cast the card, at which point you can cast either half.

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 4 years ago

Mookie wrote:
4 years ago

One obvious exception is that if the card is exiled due to being on an adventure, you can only cast the creature half. However, if it is exiled because you cast it with Rebound (such as due to Narset Transcendent), then you should be able to cast either half off Rebound. (if you cast the adventure half, it will return to exile, but this time be on an adventure)
Rebound shouldn't work. As part of the adventure you exile the card. Meaning you won't exile it for rebound but as part of it's own effect. It works the same as cards like Temporal Mastery that exile as part of their effect.

The rest of what is said is fine. As long as you have permission to cast the card from a zone you can cast either the creature or the adventure which makes an adventuring commander function correctly which means we should get at least one, though it wouldn't be the first time they missed out on such an obvious inclusion.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

This thread is threatening to veer into Speculation which is out of this forum's scope.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”