Phasing, Vehicles and Equipment?

JoeyB11223
Pronoun: he / him

Post by JoeyB11223 » 4 years ago

So obscure question...

Lets say I have a vehicle such as Ovalchase Dragster, I crew it and I attach equipment to it, then it gets phased out. Vehicles obviously stop becoming creatures at EoT, does this happen while they're phased out too, I'm leaning towards yes? If so, does this mean I would actually lose the equipment, as it would fall off in the "realm of phasing", and then not be able to in-directly phase back in with the Dragster in the next turn, or would the Dragster stay as a creature even after EoT due to some phasing rule, and instantly become non-creature as it phases back in, the equipment dropping off but being accessible?

I have a feeling I might lose the equipment forever(and auras would work the same way I imagine), but not sure.

Accepted Answer

by WizardMN » 4 years ago
The effect making the Vehicle a creature does indeed wear off once it phases out. It will phase back in as a non-creature vehicle.

However, that doesn't stop Equipment or Auras phasing in along with it. The rules state that the things attached to it will phase in with it so they do. The Equipment will phase in with the Vehicle and be attached to the vehicle when phasing in. Then, State Based Actions are checked and the Equipment will fall off since it is attached to an illegal object. So, the equipment won't be attached since it fell off but it will phase back in.
Go to full post

WizardMN
Answers: 125

Post by WizardMN » 4 years ago

The effect making the Vehicle a creature does indeed wear off once it phases out. It will phase back in as a non-creature vehicle.

However, that doesn't stop Equipment or Auras phasing in along with it. The rules state that the things attached to it will phase in with it so they do. The Equipment will phase in with the Vehicle and be attached to the vehicle when phasing in. Then, State Based Actions are checked and the Equipment will fall off since it is attached to an illegal object. So, the equipment won't be attached since it fell off but it will phase back in.

JoeyB11223

Post by JoeyB11223 » 4 years ago

cheers, just to clarify for sure, that implies that the game doesn't check as a state based action that the equipment is attached to an illegal target in the time the permanents are phased out, only when phasing in will the game act on this and unattach the equipment?

WizardMN
Answers: 125

Post by WizardMN » 4 years ago

Right. The game doesn't care about stuff that is phased out (except for making it phase in) so it will never see them when State Based Actions are checked.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”