Bolas's Citadel and cost reduction

Artaud
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Artaud » 2 years ago

Let's assume I have Bolas's Citadel on board and see Obelisk of Urd on top of my library. I also control 4 untapped creatures.

How many life do I have to pay to cast Obelisk? Can I apply cost reduction using Convoke or I need to pay 6 life anyway? Wording states "Mana Cost" (though CMC term is not valid from some time) so I should be able to but...

Thanks.

Accepted Answer

by void_nothing » 2 years ago
The only option you have is to pay 6 life. Convoke reduces the amount of mana you pay, not a card's mana value, and you don't have the choice to pay the mana cost at all.
Go to full post

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

The only option you have is to pay 6 life. Convoke reduces the amount of mana you pay, not a card's mana value, and you don't have the choice to pay the mana cost at all.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

peteroupc
Answers: 31
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by peteroupc » 2 years ago

Also: Convoke doesn't reduce the cost to cast any spell (and neither does delve or improvise, by the way) (C.R. 702.51a, 702.66a, 702.126a, 702.126a). Rather, it gives you an alternative way to pay the mana portion of a spell's total cost (C.R. 702.51a). (Compare convoke, delve, and improvise with emerge and offering [C.R. 702.119a, 702.48a].) However, Bolas's Citadel tells you to pay life equal to the spell's mana value rather than its mana cost, so that the total cost normally won't have mana in it anymore unless something increases the amount of mana the spell costs (e.g., Sphere of Resistance) (C.R. 601.2f). And to pay for a spell with convoke, you can tap no more creatures you control than the amount of mana in the spell's total cost (C.R. 702.126a).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”