Garth One-Eye Zoned Out

Legend
Aethernaut
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

Whenever a "copy of the card" is created with Garth One-Eye, in what zone does it appear and exist? If you choose to not "pay its costs", does it ever disappear or does it just sit there waiting to be cast as if it's in your hand? Can it be interacted with, as in discarded or targeted somehow?

Accepted Answer

by Argus » 2 years ago
Legend wrote:
2 years ago
Whenever a "copy of the card" is created with Garth One-Eye, in what zone does it appear and exist? If you choose to not "pay its costs", does it ever disappear or does it just sit there waiting to be cast as if it's in your hand? Can it be interacted with, as in discarded or targeted somehow?
It is created outside the game. It isn't in any of the game's zones. There is no state-based action that would remove it. Since it is a non-card object in neither the battlefield nor the stack, it would be very difficult for any effect (other than Garth's one-shot "you may cast") to interact with it or even specify it.
400.11. An object is outside the game if it isn't in any of the game's zones. Outside the game is not a zone.

706.13. One card (Garth One-Eye) instructs a player to create a copy of a card defined by name rather than by indicating an object to be copied. To do so, the player uses the Oracle card reference to determine the characteristics of the copy and creates the copy outside of the game.
Go to full post
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Argus
Answers: 53

Post by Argus » 2 years ago

Legend wrote:
2 years ago
It is created outside the game. It isn't in any of the game's zones. There is no state-based action that would remove it. Since it is a non-card object in neither the battlefield nor the stack, it would be very difficult for any effect (other than Garth's one-shot "you may cast") to interact with it or even specify it.
400.11. An object is outside the game if it isn't in any of the game's zones. Outside the game is not a zone.

706.13. One card (Garth One-Eye) instructs a player to create a copy of a card defined by name rather than by indicating an object to be copied. To do so, the player uses the Oracle card reference to determine the characteristics of the copy and creates the copy outside of the game.
Why bother with mere rulings when so many answers can be found in the Rules?

Legend
Aethernaut

Argus wrote:
2 years ago
Legend wrote:
2 years ago

Doesn't that contradict Rule 11 of Commander?
What kind of object is the copy? I mean, is it a card or a token or is "copy" a type of object?

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

Argus

Legend wrote:
2 years ago

Doesn't that contradict Rule 11 of Commander?
"11. Parts of abilities which bring other card(s) ...." The only "card" here is Garth One-Eye itself. It doesn't contradict that rule any more than Sevinne, the Chronoclasm or Brudiclad, Telchor Engineer, especially outside of Commander.
Legend wrote:
2 years ago
What kind of object is the copy? I mean, is it a card or a token or is "copy" a type of object?
109. Objects
109.1. An object is an ability on the stack, a card, a copy of a card, a token, a spell, a permanent, or an emblem.
Also, if a copy of Shivan Dragon or Black Lotus manages to resolve, it will enter the battlefield as a token.
111.11. A copy of a permanent spell becomes a token as it resolves. The token has the characteristics of the spell that became that token. The token is not "created" for the purposes of any replacement effects or triggered abilities that refer to creating a token.

Legend
Aethernaut

Thanks. I got confused because I saw a "ruling" elsewhere that the copy was a literal card.

If you choose to not "pay its costs", does the copy just continue to exist outside of game indefinitely (until you cast it)?

Argus

Legend wrote:
2 years ago
If you choose to not "pay its costs", does the copy just continue to exist outside of game indefinitely
Yes, because there is nothing that can get rid of it.
Legend wrote:
2 years ago
(until you cast it)?
The "you may cast" is part of a one-shot effect. If you don't cast it at that time, you won't get another opportunity.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”