Best targetted burn spells in Pioneer

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

Hi, so far I've been mostly just using lightning Strike,

are there other usable burn spells here that we can use both in casual and semi-competitive play?
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

robertleva

Post by robertleva » 3 years ago

You don't really see Lightning Strike being played due to how low power red burn is in Pioneer. Instead you see red Prowess using spells like Wild Slash and Shock. Shock is the best 1cc Pioneer gets and Wild Slash is about the same. Also if you are in fact running prowess, then you should have enough wizards like Viashino Pyromancer to run Wizard's Lightning.

EDIT: Not saying LIghtning Strike is unplayable btw, 0-4 copies in Prowess is fine. I would just prioritize it behind a load of other options, even at 2cc. Likely prowess has splashed some other color and likely RX 2cc burn spell is better.
Robert Leva
Creator of Modern's 8Rack Deck

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

actually, do have a competitive prowess deck -- but that's in modern. Don't have a prowess deck here in pioneer.

appreciate the suggestions, but the reason I'm asking for good burn is, need it to act as support for my semi-competitive rbw knights deck, and also for rg dinosaur deck. For removing blockers or dealing the last points of damage, Sorry for not being clear on the first post.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

robertleva

Post the list. Are you using the burn as removal? If you are hoping it will be the last few points of damage to seal the win for the above types of decks I instead suggest you look into gas for those decks.
Robert Leva

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

my pioneer dinosaur deck is based on this list. Except I have lightning strike in place of Savage Stomp.

and the knights deck is derived from this. The changes are instead of Dreadbore, have lightning strike in that spot for easier casting. Also have corpse knight instead of worthy knight.

yeah, mostly using the burn as removal for blockers, but sometimes also shoot the player.
which is why I was asking if there are other good burn here besides lightning strike.

robertleva

Dino deck feedback:

Your mana curve is too high, you only have one 1cc spell, commune with Dinos. I want to suggest Bonecrusher Giant which is normally all around a solid card but you are already too bloated at that range. Use the Shock and Wild Slashes to lower the curve. You could go the gas route with Oath of Nissa, but one way or another that mana curve has to come down.

With only 4 copies of a 1cc spell 60% of your games you will have no turn 1 play. As Dinos, you need to be the aggressor but you have to "accelerate" on turn 2 with Otpec and Raptor. So you are basically All-In with your turn 2 play because if your Optec gets removed you are dead in the water until turns 4-5 at best.

I would rework the deck to include Turn 1 dorks or something.
Robert Leva

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Pioneer”