Good black card draw spells in pioneer?

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

Hi, currently using sign in blood and read the bones. For others using b draw, what cards do you prefer to use?

just want to have a few more ideas on this. :)
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Arkmer
Opinionated and Wrong
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Arkmer » 3 years ago

Typically if I'm playing Black I'm also playing Blue but, if that's not the case, the new Plumb the Forbidden looks like it could be pretty good if you can support it. Then again, I'm not sure it can beat out Village Rites for the same idea; actually the more I look at it the worse Plumb gets. Otherwise, I lean towards repeatable things like Underworld Connections or Vraska, Golgari Queen. Are you talking mono Black? Is there another color you specifically want to use?

Sign in Blood vs Read the Bones is interesting though. I'd play Sign if you know you'll be weak to aggro, then you can lean into T2 Sign to dig for a T3 Cry of the Carnarium or something. Lean into Read if you have some decent early game and want to grind.

What card draw I'm using is often the last thing that goes into the deck (except lands). I need to figure out all the other things I'm working with first. If it turns out I have great early defense and am confident that I can stabilize, then I'll take some greedier deck sift. In Blue, this is often the difference between Opt vs Deliberate and Hieroglyphic Illumination vs Glimmer of Genius for me, and I often mix the two sides taking a split. (I haven't played with Behold the Multiverse yet, but it looks very appealing considering I don't use Energy.) You could similarly split Sign and Read depending on how you feel the deck plays.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

those new cards look interesting.

it's my pioneer abzan deck, it's designed like modern jund.. 24 land, thoughtseize, removal. Walker in the main is Vraska, Golgari Queen. Goyf is not legal here, so using Fleecemane Lion. Sign in Blood helps the deck keep the grind going. Then I have a Nethroi, Apex of Death mutate as card advantage in the midgame. Pretty much, Nethroi is the only yard using card in the deck.. and I avoid showing it game 1, to avoid players siding in grave hate on game 2.

reason for asking for good black card draw in this thread.. is thought other people might know, or are using something actually better than sign in blood. And I wanted to get ideas. So thanks for the input.

as for a permanent source of card draw. Thinking about Castle Locthwain - have you experienced using the card, and is it good?
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

robertleva

Post by robertleva » 3 years ago

Castle is all the gas you need. Vraska is pretty good gas as well, I like her a lot in Pioneer. Why do you need white, just for that Nethroi?
Robert Leva
Creator of Modern's 8Rack Deck

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

how many Castle Locthwain do you guys have in your decks?

@robertleva

many white cards in the sideboard.. 3 devout decree, 2 cleansing nova.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Pioneer”