I need a Golgari-compliant discard outlet...

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

Hello all. I'm trying to put together my own Soulflayer list. I've taken it to a few events and it's definitely a contender, but I need more discard outlets similar to Lotleth Troll. I don't have any copies of Collective Brutality yet. I was considering Call the Bloodline too. Ideas would be appreciated!
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

ForestsCarl
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ForestsCarl » 4 years ago

would self mil work better than idscard outlet?satyr, gather the pack, stitcher can

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

ForestsCarl wrote:
4 years ago
would self mil work better than idscard outlet?satyr, gather the pack, stitcher can
So far, no. After a few games, I've found that sometimes you'll need to dig for a Soulflayer and/or dump some delve fuel for it into the graveyard. For that, it already runs full sets of Grisly Salvage and the aforementioned Gather the Pack. Early versions I had with self-mill often milled a needed Soulflayer. I'm thinking something more in line with Lotleth Troll.

I may give Noose Constrictor a shot. Thanks for the response, though. Other versions of the deck run some of the things you've suggested, so maybe I'm just bad at Magic.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

For discard outlet you already found him, loltroll is a good one.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Lotleth is the best one, and I run a full set. I'm finding that it's not enough, and could use a fifth or even a sixth.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

The good thing is loltroll itself is a decent threat, and will attract removal to itself, so less removal for soulflayer.

If there is space, maybe add a single claim // fame to the deck? Not a creature, but it put's back into play a killed troll for only one mana.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

boombox

Post by boombox » 4 years ago

I've been using a few copies of Haunted Dead. Key to the City could be usable, too. It would also have a case in making your Soulflayer unblockable once it was down.

Ganondorf77
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ganondorf77 » 4 years ago

Have you considered rotting regisaur? Not a mass discard outlet , but you get one a turn, and it works as a threat itself.

Just an idea.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

boombox wrote:
4 years ago
I've been using a few copies of Haunted Dead. Key to the City could be usable, too. It would also have a case in making your Soulflayer unblockable once it was down.
Haunted Dead is interesting. I may have to test it out. Thanks! Not sure about the Key or what I'd cut for it, but I'm intrigued at the very least.
Ganondorf77 wrote:
4 years ago
Have you considered rotting regisaur? Not a mass discard outlet , but you get one a turn, and it works as a threat itself.

Just an idea.
I have, actually. I've played around with a couple copies but it never stuck around long enough to discard enough cards, or to get in the red zone. It's still on my radar though. Thanks for the suggestion!

Sojourner Dusk
Dominarian Hitchhiker

Post by Sojourner Dusk » 4 years ago

Another consideration is Geier Reach Sanitarium, though it does allow your opponent to loot as well. Since you're already Trolling, you could run Cryptbreaker, which lets you fill the yard while also gaining blockers.
May your games be chaotic and your decks be rogue.

UBR Nekusar (EDH)
RGW Mayael, Naturally (EDH)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Pioneer”