Historically, community members have expressed interest in talking holistically about the challenges and problems facing various formats and Pioneer is likely no exception. Whether or not Pioneer has "challenges" or "problems" is up for debate, but what is clear is that people want to talk about all of these issues in one unified setting.
As such, Pioneer staff have created this thread from the old MTG Salvation/MTG Nexus "State of Pioneer" versions. You can use this thread to talk about any and all of these varied Pioneer issues and their intersection. This thread will be heavily moderated, so be sure to read the rules before posting;
- Bans, unbans, and all things related to the banlist and banlist policy
- Metagame health and diversity
- Reprint suggestions and reprint philosophy
- New cards and design philosophy
- Prices and Pioneer finance
- Archetype definitions
- Format health, successes, and challenges
- Anything that constructively relates to these different issues
Prohibited topic examples
- All MTG Nexus forum rules and Pioneer subforum rules apply here.
- Rules spotlight: No flaming (insulting other users) or trolling (baiting other users into a hostile response). Posts must be civil and respectful.
- Rules spotlight: No spamming. Posts must be constructive, on-topic, and supported with evidence and argumentation.
- No format bashing. If you don't like Pioneer, that's fine, but constructively/respectfully explain why and be optimistic. Do not make sweeping, negative, verbally hostile statements about the format, its decks, cards, and/or players.
- Similarly, do not use this thread to voice grievances, complaints, and personal gripes without constructive/respectful suggestions.
- If you see a user flaming, spamming, trolling, or breaking any other rule, report him/her instead of responding to it.
The mod team will strictly enforce these rules. Please make this a place where people are unafraid to post constructive thoughts.
Update from the November 18, 2019 B&R Announcement:
No changes ("Data from the last week of Magic Online Pioneer league play and this past weekend's tournaments don't indicate a conclusive need for changes at this time. ")
Next Pioneer B&R Announcement:
November 25, 2019
Current DCI Pioneer Banned List
Here are some reasons cards are banned in Pioneer:
- Some cards have been banned because they make certain decks too consistent/reliable/dominant, reducing overall format diversity. Here are some examples of these cards:
The following are links to WotC's in-depth explanations as to why cards have or have not gotten banned since the beginning of the format:
November 18, 2019: No changes
November 11, 2019: Veil banned
November 04, 2019: Guardian, Oath, and Leyline banned
October 21, 2019: Announcing the Pioneer format: fetchlands banned