[Official] State of Pioneer Thread (B&R 12/16/2019)

robertleva
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by robertleva » 3 years ago

I'm rocking a bant Uro-Yorion list and its realllly good. One card that has been an absolute superstar for me is Render Silent. I am also using Myth Realized but I wont bother trying to make a case for that cacrd here again.
Robert Leva
Creator of Modern's 8Rack Deck

motleyslayer
Pronoun: he / him

Post by motleyslayer » 3 years ago

part of me wants to try brewing some kind of Fires of Invention based deck but I have no idea where to start. Is there hope for a deck like that or am i just being too hopeful?

robertleva

motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago
part of me wants to try brewing some kind of Fires of Invention based deck but I have no idea where to start. Is there hope for a deck like that or am i just being too hopeful?
There's hope. I have lost to Fires decks so I know they are out there, ruining peoples good times.
Robert Leva

motleyslayer

robertleva wrote:
3 years ago
motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago
There's hope. I have lost to Fires decks so I know they are out there, ruining peoples good times.
do you see more of the older cavalier/Kenrith, the Returned King versions or the Lukka, Coppercoat Outcast versions or something new?

I don't know where I'd start but wanna brew ideas

Arkmer
Opinionated and Wrong

Post by Arkmer » 3 years ago

I'll make the jump into the main thread:
For reference
Show
Hide
robertleva wrote:
3 years ago
8/15 Pioneer Challenge: 19 - Temur Reclamation won
Mono-Green Devotion 4
Esper Control 3
BTL Niv-Mizzet 2
Jeskai Fires 2
Azorius Spirits
Bant Spirits
Grixis Fires
Jund Sacrifice
Lotus Field
Mono-Black Aggro
Naya Prowess
Temur Reclamation
Interesting results. The last 2 challenges have been very different and very diverse. Awesome format meta imo.
robertleva wrote:
3 years ago
The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago
that's a diverse selection of decks indeed. Perhaps an effect of the recent bannings.

is this pioneer challenge done online, or is it a paper tournament?
oops meant this for state of pioneer. Yes this was an online Challenge event.
I'm also pretty glad to see a really wide array of things posting results right now. I hope it continues. There are some things I don't like seeing in that list but I know that's just me being super picky and wanting my own things to shine. Point is though that I really think there is very little to complain about right now. I hope WotC keeps this set of bans in mind if/when the format begins to drift again. Hopefully they rein in some of the R&D mistakes and start showing more care for other formats in their production.

robertleva

MonoGreen Devotion Planeswalkers is really fun. Strong but totally beatable. It's your classic type of deck for this format.
Robert Leva

Cyanu

Post by Cyanu » 3 years ago

It absolutely is a result of the bans, having combo decks requiring specific answer into tier 1 keeps many decks out of Meta as evidenced by the success of mono g and niv

Pioneer is officially the best format In mtg right now... Till wotc screws up again...

robertleva

I think jund / junk strats can once again be explored now that the auto win combo are gone. I've seen some neat stuff out there already. Using Vraska and Sorin.
Robert Leva

motleyslayer

I've been hearing a bit of talk on porting the Jund Sac strats over from Standard/Historic but I'm not sure if I like it yet

I still might test that or some kind of Rally the Ancestors deck

robertleva

Ive played vs the Jund sacrifice deck a ton its annoying af.
Robert Leva

motleyslayer

tbh, I'll probably end up getting the few pieces I need for it (CoCos and a few parts of it that weren't in the standard variant). I already have an idea how to play the deck so it's probably okay to try

robertleva

What do you guys think of this list? What I am really wondering about is Lurrus. The list is amazing as is, and I rarely use Lurrus. Am I limiting myself with lurrus where something else might be nice like Liliana the Last Hope or Murderous Rider or Kommand or something. Thoughts?
Robert Leva

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

is the manabase working out ok?
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

robertleva

The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago
is the manabase working out ok?
-1 Castle +1 Urborg feels a bit better.
Robert Leva

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

agreed on the change. 3 castles feel a bit too many.

have you playtested the deck against other decks?
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

robertleva

I have tested online. It works very well. It holds it's own vs Oops all lands and Uro piles. Lurrus rarely sees any activations and even fewer profitable plays. That said, when he hits, he hits huge and locks the game up for you. He doesn't really limit your design choices, all of the spell choices are based around Dreadhorde Arcanist and the curve fits around casting 1 and 2 cc spells on it's own.

I am still undecided on Lurrus. It's a tough call because he only takes up 1 spot in the side board, BUT he does somewhat limit my design choices.
Robert Leva

motleyslayer

I actually have a version of that deck sleeved up in paper but decided not to try it last time I played. Deck seems really good and I got crushed by my buddy on it.

I'm probably gonna try and learn that and Jeskai Lukka

Thanks for the posts on pyro though

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

I guess Lurrus is still usable after the companion nerf. Well, but more balanced now.

motleyslayer

I think that Lurrus of the Dream-Den and Yorion, Sky Nomad are still pretty reasonable to play as companions and not just in the 60 because of how good their effects actually are. Most of the others (except maybe Obosh, the Preypiercer ) seemed to be played more because they were a free card you always had and didn't need to change the deck much

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

question. Is Kambal, Consul of Allocation a good sideboard card against mono-red decks in pioneer?

motleyslayer

I really like Kambal, Consul of Allocation against aggressive red decks, they often struggle to close games when their opponent has gained a bit of life. Some of the recent burn lists I've seen are kinda creature heavy/have a more even split of creatures and spells but I'd still run Kambal

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

thanks for the input. Currently, I have 3 kambal, but planning to change it to 2 Kambal and one Nyx Fleece Ram on the side.

motleyslayer

I loved Nyx-Fleece Ram when I played more UW control. It stone walls both mono black and mono red aggro. Forces mono black to use actual removal and often mono red would need to either attack into it hoping for the block then waste a burn spell on it

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

yeah, I remembered your report in standard where you recovered with the help of the ram sideboard. Added it to scg cart. :)

motleyslayer

what are pioneer queues on MTGO like? I miss playing pioneer but it hasn't really picked up much in my area. So I kinda wanna buy into mtgo pioneer

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Pioneer”