[XLN-M19] Mono-Red Aggro

benjameenbear
Pronoun: he / him

Post by benjameenbear » 4 years ago

If you are interested in hosting a Primer for the Mono-Red Aggro decklist, please PM me or one of the Moderators directly!
This thread is for the discussion of Mono-Red Aggro, which placed 4th in the Mythic Championship Las Vegas, and its variants.

Mono-Red Aggro
Approximate Total Cost:

rujasu
Pronoun: they / them

Post by rujasu » 4 years ago

Aaron Barich has had success in back-to-back SCG weekends with a new twist on this deck:
Aaron Barich, SCG Open, 7/13, 1st
Approximate Total Cost:

Aaron Barich, SCG Classic, 7/21, 5th
Approximate Total Cost:

The addition of Ember Hauler is interesting, as is the move away from Chandra, Fire Artisan in favor of other cards with Chandra in the name. Hauler is not great as a creature nor as burn, but provides good versatility., able to provide both a cheap body early and reach later.

I've been testing mono-red with Ember Hauler but haven't cast the Hauler enough to give any impressions yet. I'll post more when I get a few more reps in.

rujasu

So, after testing, I'm still not sure if the Ember Hauler version is better, but it is faster and more straightforward to play. Well-suited for mindless Bo1 grinding after work, at least.

italofoca

Post by italofoca » 4 years ago

The list with Spitfire I dont like. Even if you could trigger it for free once every turn (with M20 lizard for example), its still just a 3/3 flyer for 3. I think its only playable if you go all in on the Cavalcate of Calamity plan.

The second list is more reasonable but in the end the different between wizard's lightning and skewer the critics is bigger then viashino and ember hauler.

rujasu

italofoca wrote:
4 years ago
The list with Spitfire I dont like. Even if you could trigger it for free once every turn (with M20 lizard for example), its still just a 3/3 flyer for 3. I think its only playable if you go all in on the Cavalcate of Calamity plan.

The second list is more reasonable but in the end the different between wizard's lightning and skewer the critics is bigger then viashino and ember hauler.
I'm not the biggest fan of Chandra's Spitfire either, but it is a 4/3 flyer when it triggers, not 3/3. I think the other three-drops are just better.

I've been trying a list with both Viashino Pyromancer and Ember Hauler and going a bit lower to the ground, I've liked it so far but haven't been playing enough to draw any strong conclusions really.

rujasu

Rampaging Ferocidon has been unbanned (in Bo3)!

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2019-08-26

This will be relevant for only about a month, and it competes with Goblin Chainwalker for the three-drop slot, but still, as the announcement says, it certainly does fill a role against the two biggest decks in the format (Vampires and Scapeshift). There are not many big Standard events coming in September, but maybe this will help some of us out at FNM or if anyone is playing this in Bo3 on Arena.

With that in mind... main or side, and how many?

sanitypanacea

Post by sanitypanacea » 4 years ago

What a great time this deck was in standard. It will be a fun month with Rampaging Ferocidon again in all its glory

is anyone else brewing any sort of FNM tech-y shenanigans for the fun period of waiting for our kenrith package/ELD Replacement/ Possible Splash post Rotation?

Fun Rotation Proof Shenanigans:
Mizzium Tank Crewed by an Elemental Token (Thanks Chandra, Acolyte of Flame and given haste with a cracked Torch Courier. Your Burning Prophet can now be a 4 or 5/3!

rujasu

Noelle Wilson made 3rd at the Classic with Mono-Red. 2 Ferocidon main, 2 side, stock list otherwise:

http://www.starcitygames.com/decks/132502

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Archives”