[GRN-M20] UGx Food/Ramp/Midrange featuring Oko - banned, RIP

hoser2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by hoser2 » 4 years ago

Introduction

This thread is for decks built around the core of Oko, Nissa and Hydroid Krasis. Fresh off a good showing at MCV, Bant did better than straight Simic. In the wake of the banning of Field of the Dead; Bant, Simic and Sultai versions are under competitive consideration.

Decklists

Simic
Show
Hide
Bant
Show
Hide
Sultai
Show
Hide

Articles, links, videos

Obviously, in light of the ban on Field of the Dead, the first few links are somewhat dated, but some of it will hopefully be relevant.
  • The MCV deck from the Czech house is explained by one of the principals here.
  • Andrea Mengucci (third place MCV with Bant Food) discusses his MCV deck and updates it for the new meta here.
  • Reddit thread about post-ban Oko decks here.
  • MTGO 5-0 10/24 decks: Simic Ramp; Sultai Walkers; Bant Ramp

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

I think that krasis is still really good right now, I haven't decided what to start with post ban but this deck looks good

hoser2

Yeah. I randomly opened 3 Oko on prerelease weekend, then Monday I won two packs one of which included a foil borderless Oko. So I feel like I have to be the heavy and play them.

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

Oko is like $100 Canadian right now so I might have to bite the bullet. I have to learn something before competitive events start in about a week. I have most of the rest of the deck so it's not too bad otherwise. A lot of the podcasts are saying this is probably the best shell

hoser2

We will have the results of the MCQW this weekend. Early hints seem to be that Sultai does well against Simic. Selesnya Adventures/Tokens and Esper Stax are reputed to do well against it also. I've built Sultai for Monday, but will tweak based on what I see from the MCQW.

Edit: Including this MCQW report for Sultai Food

Max Rebo
Husband of Serra
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Max Rebo » 4 years ago

The elephant in the room is............. is this the Only shell to play if you want to win

hoser2

I took a semi-budget (3 Geese, 2 Once, 3 Wolves, 3 Passages) version out last night, going 2-1. No duh, the dominant meta deck is good. It is disconcerting to be wearing the target less than a week into the new post-Field-ban meta, but that is the world we live in. I lost 0-2 to an artifact and enchantment Gingerbrute aggro deck, but also a bad keep, awkward draws and a sloppy manabase.
I randomly got a promo pack with a Once Upon a Time and traded for the fourth Goose, so I am calling it a win. I will edit in a list later, but you should probably defer to a top 16 list from the MCQW.
I started with Dav3m's Sultai Walkers. Since I play at FNM-level where people don't all want to buy Okos, I don't preboard for the mirror. Last night my meta had 2 Oko decks out of 9 (one other than mine) and I think I should expect the meta to be 20-25% Food.
That is what I would run if I had all the cards. In reality, I don't have all the cards in paper. I am making the following substitutions: 1 Wicked Wolf → 1 Voracious Hydra; 1 Fabled Passage → 1 Temple of Malady; 1 Once Upon a Time → 1 Castle Locthwain
Arena export of revised deck:
Deck
1 Vraska, Golgari Queen (GRN) 213
4 Nissa, Who Shakes the World (WAR) 169
4 Oko, Thief of Crowns (ELD) 197
1 Massacre Girl (WAR) 99
4 Gilded Goose (ELD) 160
4 Hydroid Krasis (RNA) 183
4 Paradise Druid (WAR) 171
3 Wicked Wolf (ELD) 181
3 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
3 Once Upon a Time (ELD) 169
1 Island (ELD) 254
2 Swamp (ELD) 258
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
3 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
4 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
5 Forest (ELD) 266
1 Voracious Hydra (M20) 200
1 Garruk, Cursed Huntsman (ELD) 191
1 Find // Finality (GRN) 225
1 Vraska, Golgari Queen (GRN) GR8
1 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
1 Temple of Malady (M20) 254

Sideboard
1 Golgari Findbroker (GRN) 175
1 Casualties of War (WAR) 187
1 Disdainful Stroke (GRN) 37
1 Legion's End (M20) 106
1 Liliana, Dreadhorde General (WAR) 97
1 Tamiyo, Collector of Tales (WAR) 220
2 Veil of Summer (M20) 198
1 Mystical Dispute (ELD) 58
1 The Elderspell (WAR) 89
2 Noxious Grasp (M20) 110
1 Agent of Treachery (M20) 43
1 Find // Finality (GRN) 225
1 Finale of Eternity (WAR) 91

hoser2

Two interesting articles on tcgplayer: BBD reviews sideboarding in Sultai Food; Seth Manfield provides a video using Sultai Food.

Edit: Another article at MTG Arena Zone by Drifter.

hoser2

Martin Juza discusses Sultai and two versions of Simic Food at MC VI at ChannelFireball.

hoser2

Reddit user cromatkastar describes climbing to #1 on Arena in bo1 with "Sultai Oven Cats."

Newly minted Hall of Famer Reid Duke describes using Sultai Food at MC VI (day 1 elimination) and GP Richmond (finals!) at ChannelFireball.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Archives”