One Week of Tinfoil Hats

CubJay
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by CubJay » 4 years ago

Apparently, next week's edition of Making Magic is going to be "one of those articles I do that gets everyone talking." It conveniently drops the day after SDCC ends, where we are supposedly getting some information about Archery (but not previews). Tinfoil hats on everyone, what's it going to be? Abolition or alteration of the reserved list? Addition of a fifth rarity? D&D crossover set? More masterpieces? Set is released in installments to coincide with story releases? War of the Spark was all a dream'mrakul? For one week only, anything is possible!

EDIT: my bad I can't read, the article is saturday. Wacky!
Last edited by CubJay 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

SyntheticDreamer
Pronoun: he / him

Post by SyntheticDreamer » 4 years ago

CubJay wrote:
4 years ago
Apparently, next week's edition of Making Magic is going to be "one of those articles I do that gets everyone talking." It conveniently drops the day after SDCC ends, where we are supposedly getting some information about Archery (but not previews). Tinfoil hats on everyone, what's it going to be? Abolition or alteration of the reserved list? Addition of a fifth rarity? D&D crossover set? More masterpieces? Set is released in installments to coincide with story releases? War of the Spark was all a dream'mrakul? For one week only, anything is possible!
Today's article actually states that next week's article will be posted right after MaRo's SDCC panel ends on Saturday. That panel is the big reveal of the next expansion ("Archery"), so more than likely it's just an article regarding that set's development.

The removal of the reserved list is right out, sadly.
Lapsed DCI Rules Advisor - Retired from playing but still hanging around

CubJay
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by CubJay » 4 years ago

Oh wow I didn't even notice the actual date. That's what I get for making assumptions. (And yeah I'm not seriously expecting the reserved list to go anywhere. Like I say, tinfoil hats :P )

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 4 years ago

It's almost certainly about Archery, which makes me assume that Archery has something unprecedented in its design that MaRo figures is going to make people flip their collective lids. It's probably no coincidence that he also decided to write an article clarifying Constraints and Defaults and specifically called out other changes like Double-faced cards a week before.

It's hard to "expect the unexpected", but a few more gonzo ideas would include...

- A "sidedeck" (like Contraptions) in Standard.
- A sixth color.
- "Sideboards matter"; increased ability to pull cards from out-of-game, cards that have a bonus if called in from out-of-game.
- Dice-rolling in Standard (D&D cross-over set)
- Some way of having cards that have their function change over time? Cards that reference online to show their "growth" or "development"? (like Urza in Unstable who is non-functional without an internet connection)

It could also just be a major paradigm shift in design or release, including...
- Cards that work differently online; cards designed specifically for Arena that are unavailable in standard boosters.
- The removal of a few rules, most likely the maximum handsize rule.
- Finally pulling the trigger - instant is now a supertype, Flash no longer exists, cards can now be "Instant Sorcery", "Instant Creature", etc.
- Addition of a new rarity (masterpieces in every set? Return of Purple rarity for Archery?)
- "New" New World Order; further clarification to what is allowed at common (Vanilla quotas, keyword quotas) and what is allowed at Uncommon (more build-arounds, more power)

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 4 years ago

Straight from Maro "San Diego Comic-Con just announced their schedule and yes, the Magic Panel is 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm on Saturday, July 20 in room 24ABC. It will be just me and I have all sorts of things to share. Definitely attend if you’re at SDCC. There will be an article with all the info (plus more detail) posted shortly after the panel ends. And yes, there will be a Q&A for attendees to ask all the pressing questions."
So the article coming out on Saturday is his announcement of Archery and other stuff. The other stuff could be really interesting but is probably much tamer than we expect. Of course, the most disappointing part will be the Q&A where they somehow ask only the most ridiculous questions whos answer we either already know or were obvious and or irrelevant.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Baseless Speculation”