Dungeons&Dragons: Adventures in Forgotten Realms Baseless Speculation

CommanderMaster999
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 3 years ago

I would be absolutely shocked if Tiamat doesn't get a card

Because pretty much googleplex percent sure it would be 5-color

Infact fans would scream of the top of their lungs if a dragon 5 heads each of which are the exact colors of magic the gather is not 5-color nor in this crossover set

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 3 years ago

Kobolds! I love them, I'm hoping they're in and they get expanded beyond the 0-cost tribal status they've earned so far.

It's true M:TG Kobolds are doglike, like AD&D ones, or like Wizardry and Suikoden have, whereas Forgotten Realms ones are modern and lizardlike. Still, they've grouped incongruous takes on creatures under the same type before - just look at how Merfolk suffer from world to world! We also just received a new legendary Kobold in CMR, so I think the pieces fit.

Kobolds have their fans nowadays, they're cute fursonas, nostalgic cannon fodder for old powergamers and a blank-ish slate iconic Red creature type that hasn't entirely been associated with mocking the primitive and stupid in the way M:TG uses goblins. (My fave goblins are the ones from Lorwyn, where they positive evolve via the mechanisms of mischief and gluttony, instead of that just being their end state. Mercadian Masques had some great goblins too but it gets politically uncomfortable if you dive into it too deep. Default M:TG goblins are really miserably, cynically used, I'm sorry.)

So I hope they add some kobolds with playful abilities!

I played a bunch of D&D when I was young and from those memories, I hope that this set goes hard on Dungeons and very lightly on Dragons - most of the experience of the game is plundering old mines full of slimes and bugbears, the glamour aspect is surprisingly low until yr character's paid their dues. I'm more interested in seeing takes on the levels 1-4 of the monster manual than I am in huge archons and demigods and stuff... the initial experience of the game is just so much closer to my heart than the epic levels ever will be.

(I don't pay attention to what's going on in the various settings of D&D very much and I don't know any of the major characters except that I've probably run into them in Baldur's Gate or Menzoberranzen or other old PC RPGs and they'll never have the power to impress upon my mind half as much as, say, a pile of creeping coins, or a cursed helm of alignment change, etc.)

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

Morpic_Tide wrote:
3 years ago
AliasBot wrote:
3 years ago
Per a Wizards survey, the five most popular D&D settings are the Realms, Eberron, Ravenloft, Planescape, and Dark Sun - not necessarily in that order, save for the Realms being in an unambiguous first place - so maybe one from each of those? An artificer from Eberron, a psionics user from Dark Sun/Athas, a planetouched tied to Planescape/Sigil, some sort of horror nonsense from Ravenloft, and maybe a cleric from the Realms? Not sure where you'd find a Green 'walker out of that selection, but...
I don't think they'll bleed Psionics into the typical MTG cosmology, since it's so heavily associated with color pie violations (Psionic Gift, anyone?) and is so at odds with how Magic rules work. Tthe on-demand granularity is horrible for a deck-based game of explicit costs, and the remaining flavor is covered in absolutely hated mechanics of hyper-consistency, permanent stealing, and excessive information.

If they are bringing in Dark Sun, I'd look out for a Transmutation-focused Preserver, as such could make for a very unique mono-Green Planeswalker, focused around effects Green isn't normally handed out like true transformation spells, reanimation, and card draw. Okay, the last one's just kinda expected now, isn't it...

Personally, my hope is that they'll introduce a mechanic for Templates to be a "deciduous" creature card to improve creatures effect. It'd save them a ton of design space by being able to have a pile of half-X effects share cards with the thing you're discussing a hybrid of and tie into any future set that has "Anyone can end up X" elements, which would work wonderfully with the follow-up of Innistrad. The question is what kind of name you'd give the mechanic itself to generalize properly.
There will not be any references to any D&D worlds outside of the Forgotten Realms. The set is called Dungeons and Dragons: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms, not D&D: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms and four other worlds. >.<
CommanderMaster999 wrote:
3 years ago
I would be absolutely shocked if Tiamat doesn't get a card

Because pretty much googleplex percent sure it would be 5-color

Infact fans would scream of the top of their lungs if a dragon 5 heads each of which are the exact colors of magic the gather is not 5-color nor in this crossover set
Why though? She isn't even native to Faerûn. As I mentioned earlier Ashardalon is a much more likely candidate for a legendary dragon, he is one of three mortal dragons from the realms that could wipe the floor with Tiamat.
folding_music wrote:
3 years ago
Kobolds! I love them, I'm hoping they're in and they get expanded beyond the 0-cost tribal status they've earned so far.

It's true M:TG Kobolds are doglike, like AD&D ones, or like Wizardry and Suikoden have, whereas Forgotten Realms ones are modern and lizardlike. Still, they've grouped incongruous takes on creatures under the same type before - just look at how Merfolk suffer from world to world! We also just received a new legendary Kobold in CMR, so I think the pieces fit.

Kobolds have their fans nowadays, they're cute fursonas, nostalgic cannon fodder for old powergamers and a blank-ish slate iconic Red creature type that hasn't entirely been associated with mocking the primitive and stupid in the way M:TG uses goblins. (My fave goblins are the ones from Lorwyn, where they positive evolve via the mechanisms of mischief and gluttony, instead of that just being their end state. Mercadian Masques had some great goblins too but it gets politically uncomfortable if you dive into it too deep. Default M:TG goblins are really miserably, cynically used, I'm sorry.)

So I hope they add some kobolds with playful abilities!

I played a bunch of D&D when I was young and from those memories, I hope that this set goes hard on Dungeons and very lightly on Dragons - most of the experience of the game is plundering old mines full of slimes and bugbears, the glamour aspect is surprisingly low until yr character's paid their dues. I'm more interested in seeing takes on the levels 1-4 of the monster manual than I am in huge archons and demigods and stuff... the initial experience of the game is just so much closer to my heart than the epic levels ever will be.

(I don't pay attention to what's going on in the various settings of D&D very much and I don't know any of the major characters except that I've probably run into them in Baldur's Gate or Menzoberranzen or other old PC RPGs and they'll never have the power to impress upon my mind half as much as, say, a pile of creeping coins, or a cursed helm of alignment change, etc.)
Other races have different appearances on different worlds: Elves on Lorwyn/Shadowmoor have cloven feet and antlers, merfolk on Dominaria have fish tails, goblins on Alara look like rats, while goblins on Tarkir and Ixalan look more like monkies and so on. The difference in appearance of Kobolds isn't really an issue.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Baseless Speculation”