Kaldheim Baseless Speculation thread.

CommanderMaster999
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 3 years ago

Clearly we're getting mythology of norse in this and it would be a crime to not get gods here

And Idea on Reddit came and its the MDFC's are whatever on one and equipment on the other

I feel the gods could be multicolored here

Of the most know assuming up to 5

Odin
Thor
Loki
Freya
Ymir (giant ancestor)
Or maybe hel

Ofcoarsenthe biggest question is will snow permanents after all these years return to standard

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today

Post by Card Slinger J » 3 years ago

5colorsrainbow wrote:
3 years ago
So some guesses on what they could base the gods on;

W- Tyr and/or Baldr. Tyr as a war and protection god and Baldr as the god of light and purity both feel like they would be the white Kaldheim god in magic.

U- Odin. As a god of wisdom, the future and magic, would be safe to guess the blue god would be based on Odin.

B- Loki and/or Hel. As the most antagonistic god and often portrayed as a villain Loki seems like the most likely inspiration for the Kaldheim black god. Hel as a death goddess also might be possible or mixed together with Loki as she is his daughter in myths.

R- Thor.

G- Freyr and/or Freyja, The most popularly known Vanir (nature gods) in Norse myth would be the most likely for the Kaldheim green god.
Wasn't Ice Age, Alliances, and Coldsnap based on Norse Mythology as well where we got Freyalise who we didn't know was a Planeswalker til later? People in Dominaria (originally Dominia) actually revered her as a Nature Goddess.
"Salvation is for those who are afraid of Hell. Spirituality is for those who have lived through it."

- Ralph Smart

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

Card Slinger J wrote:
3 years ago
Wasn't Ice Age, Alliances, and Coldsnap based on Norse Mythology as well where we got Freyalise who we didn't know was a Planeswalker til later? People in Dominaria (originally Dominia) actually revered her as a Nature Goddess.
It had some similarities, but no, not really. It was closer to the dark ages central Europe with an ice age skin and barbarians thrown in for good measure.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 3 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Card Slinger J wrote:
3 years ago
It had some similarities, but no, not really. It was closer to the dark ages central Europe with an ice age skin and barbarians thrown in for good measure.
Also Naya and Ixalan both having mesoamerican influences.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

CommanderMaster999

You know I just remembered nobody is really talking about giant theme because that's a big factor in norse mythology most particularly there's a God for them by the name of ymir

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

5colorsrainbow wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Card Slinger J wrote:
3 years ago
Also Naya and Ixalan both having mesoamerican influences.
Ixalan being the one that is closer to how the empires were at the time of the Spanish invasion of South America.
CommanderMaster999 wrote:
3 years ago
You know I just remembered nobody is really talking about giant theme because that's a big factor in norse mythology most particularly there's a God for them by the name of ymir
Ymir was only one, there were others, such as Sutur and Thrym, and not all of them were enemies of the Asgardians. One Giantess by the name of Skadi was actually married to a minor Asgardian god.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

CommanderMaster999

Anyway Mark said this

So he gave a clue on creature types we read Norse mythology for hints

So besides Vikings (warrior/barbarians or whatever) I see and have "snow" type

God
Elf (I think abzan for light and darkness)
Dwarf
Draugar (zombie)
Wolf (there's quite a few legendary wolves but Fenrir based card in particular needs to be here)
Spirit (the vættir and Fossegrimen based legendary)
Jormungandr (legendary serpent)
Jotnar (giants)
Kraken
Ratatoskr (legendary squirrel this better be golgari)
Horse (quite a few legendary horses just like the wolves)
Troll
Valkyries (best guess angel warriors)
Birds (Huginn and Muninn and Hraesvelgr for example by the way the ravens if they are in the kaldheim commander decks they will get "partner with")
Audhumbla (legendary ox I would say cow but look at typing on Bartered Cow)
Gullinkambi (a way to get a chicken to black border)
Dragon (you know magic 90% of sets have one plus the squirrel legend was messing with one)

Oh one more thing the loki based character could end up bing oko since he's a trickster and homeplane is unknown

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Gullinkambi would have the creature type bird, if they made one. Honestly, it is more obscure than the Eagle that Ratatöskr insulted on the behalf of Nidhogg.

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 3 years ago

Poor juanitodineros, i think that party killed the chance for pirates in standard this year no matter the source material

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

ilovesaprolings wrote:
3 years ago
Poor juanitodineros, i think that party killed the chance for pirates in standard this year no matter the source material
Why would the party mechanic kill the chance for pirates in standard? There is nothing preventing pirates from showing up in Kaldheim or the D&D set, and it is possible that they show up in Strixhaven as well. I don't think we've ever had pirates in Innistrad though, but there is nothing prevent them from showing up there, as several of the provinces are or have coastal regions, Nephalia in particular.

ilovesaprolings

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Why would the party mechanic kill the chance for pirates in standard? There is nothing preventing pirates from showing up in Kaldheim or the D&D set, and it is possible that they show up in Strixhaven as well. I don't think we've ever had pirates in Innistrad though, but there is nothing prevent them from showing up there, as several of the provinces are or have coastal regions, Nephalia in particular.
I can bet whatever you want that we will have no other class tribal besides rogues, warrior, clerics and wizards until the D&D set and probably even after.
Kaldheim will have warriors. Maybe there will be some batching for "vikings" but either way warriors will be the main focus and batching will be with berserker and barbarians, no pirates.
Strixhaven has wizards
Innistrad maybe clerics
(Zendikar had tons of rogues and even a dedicated commander deck)

They won't put other class tribal in the mix because otherwise things will get too complicated.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

ilovesaprolings wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
I can bet whatever you want that we will have no other class tribal besides rogues, warrior, clerics and wizards until the D&D set and probably even after.
Kaldheim will have warriors. Maybe there will be some batching for "vikings" but either way warriors will be the main focus and batching will be with berserker and barbarians, no pirates.
Strixhaven has wizards
Innistrad maybe clerics

They won't put other class tribal in the mix because otherwise things will get too complicated.
Just because those classes show up, it doesn't prevent other classes from showing up as well.

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 3 years ago

Pirate tribal is unlikely as a major theme but nothing to say they won't have pirates and we have gotten very minor tribal themes for some sets (cat tribal in Amonkhet and Centaur tribal in Theros 1).
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 3 years ago

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
3 years ago
Anyway Mark said this

So he gave a clue on creature types we read Norse mythology for hints

So besides Vikings (warrior/barbarians or whatever) I see and have "snow" type

God
Elf (I think abzan for light and darkness)
Dwarf
Draugar (zombie)
Wolf (there's quite a few legendary wolves but Fenrir based card in particular needs to be here)
Spirit (the vættir and Fossegrimen based legendary)
Jormungandr (legendary serpent)
Jotnar (giants)
Kraken
Ratatoskr (legendary squirrel this better be golgari)
Horse (quite a few legendary horses just like the wolves)
Troll
Valkyries (best guess angel warriors)
Birds (Huginn and Muninn and Hraesvelgr for example by the way the ravens if they are in the kaldheim commander decks they will get "partner with")
Audhumbla (legendary ox I would say cow but look at typing on Bartered Cow)
Gullinkambi (a way to get a chicken to black border)
Dragon (you know magic 90% of sets have one plus the squirrel legend was messing with one)

Oh one more thing the loki based character could end up bing oko since he's a trickster and homeplane is unknown
Ravens too! I think there are two named ravens who hang out with Odin, right?

Now more baseless speculation

Dwarves as WOTC ontinues too try (and fail)to push Boros equipments seem logical, I would also bet this would be equipment heavy, and at least one super pushed as the Mjolnir is the most famous piece of norse mythos.

Wolves will be printed in a large ammount, wonder if Tolsimir, Friend to Wolves becomes somewhat playable.

The bifrost will appear and it will be a 5c card.

Sagas will come back, the wikipedia page for Norse mythology tells me they were written in sagas, I'm sold,.

The Ragnarok will be in hte set, maybe in a saga that ends with a boardwipe? maybe with a conditional wincon like Happily Ever After ?

There will be a circle of Runes

I believe that for the first time Gods will not be conditional. There will be neither a devotion like mechanic nor a condition ot attack or block.

I'm super curious about how the non gods will be too and their relationship, will it be worship? fear?

It's hard to stay away from Marvel comics, I think they are by far the most famous versions of norse mythology and in there there is this character that is literally called Enchantress so I'd at least consider that.

Crazy to think that WOTC has left Herculess, Odysseus and Achiles out of both theros blocks so IDK, everything we think is sure fire might be out

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 3 years ago

Wotc didn't forget Odysseus or achilles

ilovesaprolings

chetoos wrote:
3 years ago
Wasn't Odysseus represented by Callaphe, Beloved of the Sea?

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 3 years ago

ilovesaprolings wrote:
3 years ago
chetoos wrote:
3 years ago
Also true, I just remembered that Daxos was listed as being inspired by Odysseus in the first Theros Block

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 3 years ago

ilovesaprolings wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Strixhaven has wizards
Innistrad maybe clerics

This is almost certainly not true. Wizards is willing to mix tribal characteristics across a years worth of sets. While I would not be surprised to see them lean towards those classes, they're not going to completely eliminate other classes from their tribal options. After all, if your thoughts were accurate, we wouldn't have seen any non-party tribal over the past year either, and Ikoria and m21 both put paid to that. Those two are both as close to Zendikar as Strixhaven and Kaldheim are, so I'm sure we'll see other tribal effects. At the very least, I'd be surprised not to see some giant tribal in Kaldheim.

ilovesaprolings

Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
At the very least, I'd be surprised not to see some giant tribal in Kaldheim.
Giant tribal is not class tribal

duducrash
Still Learning

chetoos wrote:
3 years ago
ilovesaprolings wrote:
3 years ago
chetoos wrote:
3 years ago
Also true, I just remembered that Daxos was listed as being inspired by Odysseus in the first Theros Block

Oh yeah I can totally see Haktos the Unscarred my mistake..

I totally don't get the flavour on the other two though

palaguin
God of Penguins

Post by palaguin » 3 years ago

I would think they'd hold off Ragnarok until a return to the plane, as it gives them a story reason to return if the set is popular.

ilovesaprolings

palaguin wrote:
3 years ago
I would think they'd hold off Ragnarok until a return to the plane, as it gives them a story reason to return if the set is popular.
Lol, let's see if they learnt the lesson "don't destroy your world on the first trip" after the creative failures of Alara, Zendikar and Tarkir.

duducrash
Still Learning

palaguin wrote:
3 years ago
I -THINK- Sagas aren't really events, but how people perceive/tell them. Kiora Bests the Sea God didn't beat Thassa. Same with The Triumph of Anax . So someone killing/gods vanishing would become gospel,

I might be wrong though, just how I understood it

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 3 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
I am honestly thinking they'll use batching to make Warriors, Barbarians, and Berserkers count as Vikings. And I am saying this as a Scandinavian.
While not impossible that would mean that they would plan to put all three creature types into the set and I don't even know whether they get supported. Actually, a quick search suggests that they haven't printed a new Barbarian since Coldsnap and Berserkers are also very few and far in-between if they want to feature them at number and as a theme soon.

Batching Barbarians and Berserkers into Warriors doesn't make sense if they just could change the creature type of the two Berserkers they would have otherwise printed to Warrior and get the same result without batching.

The only thing that might encourage returning Barbarian as a type is the upcoming D&D-set. I still wouldn't bet on it.

ilovesaprolings

We'll just have warriors with equipment, that's my bet.
Let's hope for snow to spice things up.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Baseless Speculation”