Strixhaven school of mages Baseless Speculation thread

CommanderMaster999
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 3 years ago

A thread for hopes and wishes and speculation for strixhaven

Well inalla was the best wizard tribal legend but I think we probably getting a better one here knowing the ritual of new commander format cards in every set

And wizards mentioned they had plans for Kasmina I think this is the set it's happening Exhibit A is Kasmina's Transmutation because if you look carefully in the art there's a owl right next to her and owls Is clearly flagship creature of this set

And this is a coin flip if this happens or not but the Godzilla thing from Ikoria it's probably gonna happen again but this time Harry Potter
Last edited by benjameenbear 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Necro

AvalonAurora
Pronoun: they / them

Post by AvalonAurora » 3 years ago

I hope that, for flavor reasons, most, possibly all, of the instant, sorcery, enchantment, and artifact spells in the set are ones that a visiting planeswalker can learn from lessons or books and scrolls or the like from Strixhaven, and they avoid ones that are only known by specific planeswalkers, or that represent events happening or non-spell actions taken, rather than spells one can learn. In many cases, this is something determined by art and flavor text, rather than spell name, but it would certainly be appreciated to have spells there be ones that you could say you 'learned' there, with the player considered as a visiting planeswalker, and you didn't have to be there for a specific time or place or use some kind of past-viewing effect to latch onto a mystical event or something to create a spell that replicates it.

I hope even some of the creature spells are things that local spellcasters are taught to summon, either by forming some kind of bond or learning to fabricate an illusion or infuse an elemental or grow an ooze or something, although certainly there should also be things that involve local magic users themselves as cards.

I hope for some spellcasting related themes, including effects like prowess, and we get some good constructed level prowess cards in a variety of colors, various things that benefit from you casting spells.

I also hope perhaps for a variety of 'tutor' type effects related to doing magical research that search for certain kinds of spell types, like perhaps a full cycle of Idyllic Tutor, Fabricate, and perhaps sorcery for black, creature for green, and instant for red, named and flavor texted and illustrated accordingly to make them spells one can learn to help study or create things or whatnot.

I hope for a higher as-fan of instant, sorcery, and enchantment spells than usual, if only by slightly.

I hope for a bit of bird and/or flying sort(s) of tribal including some 'strix' bird cards.

I hope for a 5 color legendary wizard to represent a talented headmaster or student who makes a good commander.

I hope flavor wise the place is relatively safe and peaceful for visiting planeswalkers after the story events of the set are over, enabling them to learn there if they don't make trouble.

I hope we get a tendency that leans away from 'evil' seeming spells, particularly in regards to black, in terms of flavor, and there is some more exploration of fringe things that a wizard of each color might do professionally besides being a combat wizard, such as a black mage perhaps using their control over decay and aging type stuff to create or control cooking and food prep related things to yeast (and breads that use such), cheese and alcohol, or red mages assisting artists and actors and the like by giving them magical surges of passion and inspiration and doing demolition work as part of prep for new construction, or using speedy (haste and such) summons to deliver packages.

I hope we get a nice mono-color each cycle of 'charm' or 'command' type modular spells that are good in constructed, although they might not use 'charm' or 'command' in the wording, depending on local spellcasting flavor or whatnot.

I hope we see a variety of creatures commonly seen as magical 'familiars' represented, including cat, bird, pseudodragon, fairy, toad, etc. and that at least some of them are cute.

I hope we get artifacts related to things like wands, staffs, books, bookcases, scrolls, and other things associated with wizards and stuff.

I hope we get something like a cycle of enchantments that release from runes along the lines of Seal of Fire's cycle from Nemesis, although different on at least some of the specifics.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
3 years ago
And this is a coin flip if this happens or not but the Godzilla thing from Ikoria it's probably gonna happen again but this time Harry Potter
Considering the massive amount of controversy regarding the views of the writer of Harry Potter I would not hold my breath for such cards.

As for things I hope we see:

The addition of "Familiar" as a creature type would be high on my list.

And a Tome subtype for artifacts (with spells and such that interact with said subtype).

The return of Clues.

Two or three color "houses" of magic that are *not* references to Harry Potter but rather more original, with no obvious "evil" or "good" group.

A good number of legendary creatures, not just wizards, but monsters as well. Can't have a proper wizard's school without monsters.

And one thing that is never going to happen, but would fill me with joy: The set turns out to take place on Ulgrotha and they reprint Wizards' School as a common.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 3 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
3 years ago
Considering the massive amount of controversy regarding the views of the writer of Harry Potter I would not hold my breath for such cards.

I think that if Hasbro can secure a deal they will definitely cross. JKR is a really hatefull person but her works are the biggest thing to a generation thats definitely a target audience. And the "death of the autor" discourse is pretty prevalent when talking about Harry Potter, specially since the stars of the movie franchise condemned the authors words. I'd be personally torn on the cards.

If it's a school maybe each color will touch on a subject and has its specific summonings. Maybe, like psychology or the most different branches of the humaties, a mage has different "school of thoughts" inside one of school?

Blue will be something about seeing the fortunes, some kind of defensive magic, potion making maybe, specially UB. and summoning ilusions

red would be agressive spells, of course. Battle spells I guess, I can see a Shock That comes out of a wand,

Green would be something thats in touch with magical beings and nature,

Idk if a school would teach necromancy but theres that thats super in blacks area

And I have no idea about white, maybe how they did with Fate reforged Jeskai, bears that do stuff when you canst instant and sorceries? Like ]Ojutai Exemplars [/card] and Monastery mentor?

Do you think there will be some anti magic folk arround?

So I think there should be a heavy token theme, maybe some old tribes will get new toys

If this is set in the past, like eldraine, it might be Kasmina, Enigmatic Mentor origins. But I got a feeling that it might shadows over innistrad like. Jace wants to study something, perhaps an object like he wanted during the events of Zendikar Rising

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

duducrash wrote:
3 years ago
I think that if Hasbro can secure a deal they will definitely cross. JKR is a really hatefull person but her works are the biggest thing to a generation thats definitely a target audience. And the "death of the autor" discourse is pretty prevalent when talking about Harry Potter, specially since the stars of the movie franchise condemned the authors words. I'd be personally torn on the cards.
There are literally over a dozen "magic school" based media that are both better and older than the Harry Potter franchise, so it's not like they don't have options. Lol.

I'd actually prefer if each "school" of magic was based in two, or even three colors. Not necessarily as a heavy multicolor theme (After all, we have Ravnica for that), but with some synergy between the colors like in Ikoria and many other sets.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

duducrash
Still Learning

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
There are literally over a dozen "magic school" based media that are both better and older than the Harry Potter franchise, so it's not like they don't have options. Lol.
And I'm sure Hasbro would rather have access to 10% of harry potter IP than all others combined. It's not an argument on the merits of each work, its just that htey are way more popular.

I doubt it would get the Godizilla treatment though, it's so popular it would sell any product, and draft boosters don't need help I guess

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

duducrash wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
And I'm sure Hasbro would rather have access to 10% of harry potter IP than all others combined. It's not an argument on the merits of each work, its just that htey are way more popular.

I doubt it would get the Godizilla treatment though, it's so popular it would sell any product, and draft boosters don't need help I guess
As I mentioned, the controversial behavior of the author (and owner of the Harry Potter IP) is not something that WotC or Hasbro want to tangle with. Indeed over the last few years they have actively distanced themselves from people with similar views. As such, WotC licensing the Harry Potter IP is unlikely at best, and that is not even mentioning that she is incredibly greedy when it comes to licensing. LEGO took a loss on each Harry Potter LEGO set ever made and sold because of this.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

The only thing I will be remotely interested in is Illusion tribal; it is a high time to make its return and it is hardly any better place for it.
Actually, I would not be surprised if the whole set will have six tribals, with one tribe for each color and then wizards in all five. "Non-creature spells matter" will be folded together with wizards tribal, with diffrent flavours across colors/colors pairs (to make limited archetypes).
As for monocolored tribes, it has to be something that at the same time is throughly in color and is not your classical characteristic race, so no zombies or elves, for instance. If I would to predict I will see something along the lines of:

White - Hard one. Spirits and Birds are the easiest pick, but both tribes are Azorius, not mono white, so getting support from set only in one color would be strange. Mouses? Griffins? Pegasus?
Blue - Illusions (I hope) or Homunculi.
Black - Imps or Rats.
Red - Elementals, but since they got support M20, maybe they will go with Lizards instead. Also they could put drakes here instead, as a pseudodragons.
Green - Another hard one. Wolves seem too ferocious, so Cats/Dogs? Or maybe Snakes, that would be interesting.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
3 years ago
The only thing I will be remotely interested in is Illusion tribal; it is a high time to make its return and it is hardly any better place for it.
Actually, I would not be surprised if the whole set will have six tribals, with one tribe for each color and then wizards in all five. "Non-creature spells matter" will be folded together with wizards tribal, with diffrent flavours across colors/colors pairs (to make limited archetypes).
As for monocolored tribes, it has to be something that at the same time is throughly in color and is not your classical characteristic race, so no zombies or elves, for instance. If I would to predict I will see something along the lines of:

White - Hard one. Spirits and Birds are the easiest pick, but both tribes are Azorius, not mono white, so getting support from set only in one color would be strange. Mouses? Griffins? Pegasus?
Blue - Illusions (I hope) or Homunculi.
Black - Imps or Rats.
Red - Elementals, but since they got support M20, maybe they will go with Lizards instead. Also they could put drakes here instead, as a pseudodragons.
Green - Another hard one. Wolves seem too ferocious, so Cats/Dogs? Or maybe Snakes, that would be interesting.
Drakes are unlikely for red as they tend to be flying, and that is not something red does a lot of (and then usually only as dragons or on dragon related cards).

I honestly don't think that Strixhaven will be heavy on tribal themes outside of various "spellcasting" classes. And not just wizards either, I think the set will have both wizards, druids, clerics, shamans, and warlocks. They may be locked to one color, but I think it is more likely they are spread across two or three colors each, with a focus in one.

Also, there will be birds. Strixes are owls after all.

Ginuqu

Post by Ginuqu » 3 years ago

i haven't followed any info about this set so the "It's Harry Potter" idea/rumour seemed to come out of nowhere, pop up fully formed. my number one hope for the set is that it won't be like that.

after the endless Commander pummeling this year I'd like to see under ten legendary creatures and a theme where cards care about other copies of themselves. Give me interesting dual lands that come into play tapped and some good mutual discard bits too!
sorta mad at magic right now

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Ginuqu wrote:
3 years ago
i haven't followed any info about this set so the "It's Harry Potter" idea/rumour seemed to come out of nowhere, pop up fully formed. my number one hope for the set is that it won't be like that.
Considering how controversial the author of Harry Potter is, I doubt there will be any direct references or homages to the series, and as I mentioned earlier, the "magic school" genre is much older and much more varied than the Harry Potter books. And often, considerably better made. Harry Potter only managed to become as popular as it became because it managed to come out at the right time to be seized by the zeitgeist causing it to explode in popularity. Not much unlike the popularity of the Twilight books and the reromanticization of the vampire genre, and those books were terrible. >.<

Ginuqu

Post by Ginuqu » 3 years ago

Yep! hopefully we get something more akin to Discworld's Unseen University, with less precocious kids and more interesting world building. I'd even prefer something like Pug's journey from orphan to magician in those early Midkemia books
sorta mad at magic right now

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Ginuqu wrote:
3 years ago
Yep! hopefully we get something more akin to Discworld's Unseen University, with less precocious kids and more interesting world building. I'd even prefer something like Pug's journey from orphan to magician in those early Midkemia books
There are literally hundreds of various media that include magic schools, so it's not like they don't have stuff to draw inspiration from. (Warning: Link goes to TVTropes, the site has been linked to time loss and insomnia, you were warned.)

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 3 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Considering the massive amount of controversy regarding the views of the writer of Harry Potter...
duducrash wrote:
3 years ago
JKR is a really hatefull person...
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
As I mentioned, the controversial behavior of the author (and owner of the Harry Potter IP) is not something that WotC or Hasbro want to tangle with. Indeed over the last few years they have actively distanced themselves from people with similar views.
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Considering how controversial the author of Harry Potter is...
If I disagree with y'all here, does that ironically prove she's controversial? I'll risk it. How controversial is it really to support and validate one discrete population but not at the expense of another, assuming all involved populations aren't racist, sexist, etc. or otherwise have ulterior motives? How is it that pro-woman is transphobic but pro-black is not whitephobic? Are dog lovers by default also cat haters? Should Alred Hitchcock be cancelled? I genuinely don't know. It makes me wonder if WotC will once again capitulate to 9 bots spamming the same complaints until they get their way. That being said, I never want to see the world of Harry Potter in the Magic multiverse either, not because of the author who I disagree with on many points, but because it's just as based in our real world, modern day earth as The Walking Dead. I do however love the idea of a Hogwarts riff in the Magic multiverse. I'm sure they'll do it justice in form, flavor, and function.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Legend wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Considering the massive amount of controversy regarding the views of the writer of Harry Potter...
duducrash wrote:
3 years ago
JKR is a really hatefull person...
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
As I mentioned, the controversial behavior of the author (and owner of the Harry Potter IP) is not something that WotC or Hasbro want to tangle with. Indeed over the last few years they have actively distanced themselves from people with similar views.
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Considering how controversial the author of Harry Potter is...
If I disagree with y'all here, does that ironically prove she's controversial? I'll risk it. How controversial is it really to support and validate one discrete population but not at the expense of another, assuming all involved populations aren't racist, sexist, etc. or otherwise have ulterior motives? How is it that pro-woman is transphobic but pro-black is not whitephobic? Are dog lovers by default also cat haters? Should Alred Hitchcock be cancelled? I genuinely don't know. It makes me wonder if WotC will once again capitulate to 9 bots spamming the same complaints until they get their way. That being said, I never want to see the world of Harry Potter in the Magic multiverse either, not because of the author who I disagree with on many points, but because it's just as based in our real world, modern day earth as The Walking Dead. I do however love the idea of a Hogwarts riff in the Magic multiverse. I'm sure they'll do it justice in form, flavor, and function.
Being pro-woman isn't being transphobic. Being Transphobic and saying that trans people are the gender they are born with are however, very transphobic, which is what she is.

Edit: Let me clarify. What she said and what made people react is that she said that someone who is born male or female, but self identifies as the other gender and has underwent gender reassignment to be the gender they self identify is, aren't the gender they self identify as. Which is the very definition of being transphobic.

duducrash
Still Learning

Legend wrote:
3 years ago
Are dog lovers by default also cat haters
If they say cats are violent and constant attack dogs in dog spaces and somehow being a cat makes dogs life worse therefore being a activist againt cats while abusing their millions wide audience to spread hateful rhetoric ? Sure.

It's a fallacy to arguee people are mad at JK because shes pro something. People are mad because of how often she used her plataform to promote transphobic ideas.

In the case of Maya Forstater who bullied and harassed trans folks, JK defended her with lies, saying she was being punished for being pro women. she wasnt, as a matter of fact the case wasnt even on the philosophical beliefs, it was either her (what I call hate.) speech was protected. This while praising other notorious transphobic people. In her essay she constantly denied trans identities while promoting HEAVILY a us vs them agenda and being a big victim trough all.

I honestly don't have answers and truths, what I have is ,as a psychologist, experience arround trans people, experience enough to understand how erasure and constant attacks on their identity is harmfull. While JKR comments or their woes, she never adresses it how the majority of the health field, or she actual trans community does.

Trans people are dying, every day. They are dying a bunch, mostly because of a society that says they are wrong for being who they are, JKR has this opinion and screams it in a megafone. She is hatefull and harmfull. I love her work and I'm not gonna lie am a huge fan to this day. But I can't with a easy mind support JKR. I know money wont make a difference in this white billionare who literlaly lives in a castle life, but if I can, I will point every day how hatefull and harmfull she is

CommanderMaster999

Welp....

With vorinclex in kaldheim

Now we can instantaneously add a speculation we see Jim-Gitaxias on strixhaven

Hey maybe Jin plays the role of Voldemort in the set

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Oh man, if this means we'll get a Praetor in each set for the foreseeable future, that means we'll be getting Phyrexians in the Forgotten Realms.

Eagle_Nebula7

Post by Eagle_Nebula7 » 3 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Oh man, if this means we'll get a Praetor in each set for the foreseeable future, that means we'll be getting Phyrexians in the Forgotten Realms.
I honestly don't think that'll be the case. Since Forgotten Realms takes the Core Set slot, it's going to have a general disconnect from the story like the core sets of years past. WoTC is just highlighting that disconnect and using it as an opportunity to bring us new stuff. So they'll probably just skip it altogether and give us some more stuff on Innastrad.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Eagle_Nebula7 wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
I honestly don't think that'll be the case. Since Forgotten Realms takes the Core Set slot, it's going to have a general disconnect from the story like the core sets of years past. WoTC is just highlighting that disconnect and using it as an opportunity to bring us new stuff. So they'll probably just skip it altogether and give us some more stuff on Innastrad.
It takes the core set slot, yes. But it is a premiere set, just like Kaldheim and Strixhaven.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 3 years ago

Do we know if there will be MDFCs, or is that just a guess?

CommanderMaster999

BeneTleilax wrote:
3 years ago
That is 100% confirmed he confirmed MDFC's in kaldheim and strixhaven as well from the man himself maro

And everyone and myself include were next to certain one side is Instant/sorcery and the other is all other spell types

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

3 years ago
BeneTleilax wrote:
3 years ago
That is 100% confirmed he confirmed MDFC's in kaldheim and strixhaven as well from the man himself maro

And everyone and myself include were next to certain one side is Instant/sorcery and the other is all other spell types
It is also likely we'll get MDFC's, or DFC's in general, in Adventures in the Forgotten Realms and the two Innistrad sets, as DFC's are this years theme (last years was commander). But it is not a certainty. Although Innistrad without DFC's feels wrong on a fundamental level.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 3 years ago

I think DFC's have been confirmed for Innistrad, but I can't remember. Even if they haven't, I would say it's pretty much 100% that the werewolf set will have them and probably the vampire set as well.

Adventures in the Forgotten Realms I am less sure about. It is a coreset replacement after all. But like Krishnath said, it is the year of DFC's, so I would put the chance at 50/50.

CommanderMaster999

Yea I guess the DnD set could have a DFC thing

Oh I do have a speculation either this set or DnD Commander 2021 decks (main decks not weaker ones pretty certain we will still see the main ones like before)

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Baseless Speculation”